Dates: August 5-12, 2019
Group Leader: Chris
PRICE: 689.00 + gov't taxes.
DEPOSIT: 100.00 (non-refundable)
It's OK to RSVP without a deposit. A deposit guarantees your spot.
Keeping up with the promise to create amazing itineraries and match you up with fun groups of travel buddies to travel together, 1000 Treks is starting a whole department dedicated to cruises. Our first amazing cruise will be to one of our favorite places in America and the world: Alaska.
Cruising is one of the best ways to see Alaska. No matter what kind of traveler you are, an Alaska cruise will allow you to see and experience a lot more than any other way of travelling. You will see indescribably beautiful places and will have the option to do all sorts of amazing activities. We chose the perfect cruise that has the most ports-of-call with the award-winning Norwegian Cruise Lines doing a 7-day cruise from Seward to Vancouver on the Norwegian Jewel.
- See Alaska's most important ports-of-call: Seward, Icy Strait Point, Juneau (the capital of Alaska), Skagway and Ketchikan.
- Cruise two major glaciers, Hubbard Glacier (the biggest tidewater glacier in North America) and Sawyer Glacier, and have the chance to sail to, fly to and walk on two more: Davidson Glacier, and the majestic Mendenhall Glacier
- Cruise Inside Passage, one of the most beautiful sails in the world where you will get to see countless fjords, glaciers, and breathtaking wildlife such as whales, bald eagles and sea lions. At the end of the cruise we're like, "yup, there's another bald eagle, oh yeah and another whale…". :-D
- See the salmon run, where millions of salmon swim up the river, sometimes up waterfalls, to spawn (the best way to do that is by doing one of the fishing shore excursions).
- Take amazing land excursions at our ports of call. They have over 100 different land excursions for all adventure levels. Some level 1 activities include wilderness watching cruises and walks (whales, birds, bears, etc), culinary experiences flightseeing over glaciers (very cool!). Level 2 activities include kayaking, ATV riding, fishing, ziplining, hiking and flying to a glacier via helicopter. Some of the level 3 activities are trekking on a glacier, snorkeling (yup, you read that correctly!) kayak whale watching (you read that correctly too!), canopy and zipline expedition, rock climbing (all levels) and rappelling. Here is the full list of the excursions for our cruise.
- And since we'll be on vacation, they have an amazing spa on board with everything from personal training to massages and facials and even treatments like skin resurfacing and botox! You're going to come back looking goooood! :-D
AUGUST 5, MONDAY: SEWARD (EMBARK 9:00 PM)
Best known for its beautiful parks and mountain scenery, Seward, Alaska is not to be missed. There is nearly an endless variety of outdoor activities to enjoy in Seward, from mountain biking and climbing, to rafting, sea kayaking, and dog-sledding, and even skiing, fishing or white water rafting. Explore scenic hiking trails or have a picnic among the pristine landscape. There's no shortage of enjoyable pastimes in Alaska's City of Seward.
AUGUST 6, TUESDAY: CRUISE HUBBARD GLACIER
Today you will get up close and personal with the gigantic Hubbard Glacier, North America's largest tidewater glacier. It's 1350 square miles of blue ice and one of the most active in Alaska.
AUGUST 7, WEDNESDAY: ICY STRAIT POINT (ARRIVE: 9:00 AM. DEPART 5:00 PM)
Venture “where the north wind doesn’t blow.” Known for this famous saying, Icy Strait Point is the ideal landing spot for adventurers seeking a new experience. Breathtaking and exciting, Icy Strait Point truly takes you where the wild things are. It’s one of the few places in the world where wildlife outnumbers the human population! A trip here certainly satisfies your taste for adventure. Take a cruise from Icy Strait Point and enjoy Alaska's awe-inspiring scenery and the many excursion options that Norwegian Cruise Line has to offer. Here is a list of the land excursions at Icy Strait Point.
AUGUST 8, THURSDAY: JUNEAU (ARRIVE 7:00 AM. DEPART 1:15 PM)
Juneau has been called “Alaska's peak experience,” certainly due in part to its unparalleled glacier viewing from such places as Tracy Arm Fjord, the Juneau Icefields and Glacier Bay National Park. Kayak up one of the area's many protected waterways, go flightseeing, tour historic downtown or try your hand at panning for gold. The majestic Mendenhall Glacier lies nearly 12 miles outside Juneau, a trek worthwhile. Here is the list of land excursions in Juneau.
AUGUST 8, THURSDAY: CRUISE SAWYER GLACIER
After leaving Juneau, prepare to experience all the beauty and majesty of the Alaskan wilderness. Travel through Tracy Arm Fjord and witness the awe-inspiring beauty of Sawyer Glacier. The ship gets very close to the glacier, where you can usually see humongous chunks of ice falling in the water.
AUGUST 9, FRIDAY: SKAGWAY (ARRIVE 7:00 AM. DEPART 5:00 PM)
In a single year from 1896 to 1897, this remote town along the Inside Passage grew from a few tents to a city of 20,000 gold seekers. Today, travelers come in search of other riches – to experience yesteryear along Skagway's charming boardwalk lined with buildings that replicate those Gold Rush days. Here are the shore excursions in Skagway.
AUGUST 10, SATURDAY: KETCHIKAN (ARRIVE 1:00 PM. DEPART 8:00 PM)
Its Tlingit Indian name, Kach Khanna, means “spread wings of the eagle.” Chances are you'll see one of these magnificent birds perched atop a Sitka tree. Thanks to its abundant rainfall, Ketchikan is surrounded by some of the world's most lush wildernesses. Ketchikan is a scenic city where you can just do your own sighsteeing but it does have one shore excursion available: the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour.
AUGUST 11, SUNDAY: CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE
Get ready for amazing views and wildlife like nowhere else as you sail through the islands of Alaska's Inside Passage. Shaped by the staggering force of massive glaciers millions of years ago, Alaska’s Inside Passage boasts wildlife-filled fjords and lush island scenery — habitat for bald eagles, sea lions, porpoises and whales. Its mountains are carpeted with majestic forests. Inside Passage Alaska is home to Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian Indians.
AUGUST 12, MONDAY: VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA (DISEMBARK 8:00 AM)
Positioned between the snow-dusted North Shore Mountains and the rich, blue waters of the Pacific Ocean, Vancouver blends big-city sophistication with small-town charm. 1000 Treks will offer an optional 7-hour post-cruise city tour of Vancouver where you will visit Stanley Park, English Bay, Gastown, Chinatown, Robson Street, Canada Place and Vancouver Harbor, Granville Island, Lions Gate Bridge and Capilano Suspension Bridge. Oh, and is where your group leader, Chris, grew up!
PRICE and PAYMENT TERMS
- 924.27 (689.00 + 235.37 gov't taxes) for inside cabin, category IF, which is one of the higher categories of inside cabins. It breaks down to a little over 100.00 a day. 1000 Treks is not a budget travel company, so you don't travel with us because you get cheap trips. You come with us but because you get the most amazing itineraries. However in this case, you are getting an AMAZING DEAL as the prices at Norwegian's website are at least 200.00 more for the same category rooms, which are already very reasonable.
- A deposit of 100.00 (non-refundable) secures your reservation. You then have until March 05 to finish making your payment. Once we receive your deposit, we will send you an invoice for the remaining amount. When you make your payment, you will be asked for your email. MAKE SURE YOU LIST AN EMAIL YOU CHECK DAILY WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR PAYMENT. THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL RECEIVE YOUR INVOICE, QUESTIONNAIRE AND ALL THE EMAILS IN REGARDS TO THE TRIP.
- Ocean view cabins are also available for an additional 400.00. We reserved category OG cabins: large porthole cabins with unobstructed view. You will be able to upgrade to those cabins once you make your deposit.
- You can also upgrade to a balcony room, mini-suite, suite or even the haven. We have not pre booked any of those so if you are interested, let us know and we'll check the price, since it changes as departure date approaches.
- Full payment is only due on March 05, 2019, four months before the trip. So you have a lot of time to pay. You can make payments in any way you prefer so long as you are fully paid by the due date.
- If you make payments or pay in full before the due date, your payments (minus the deposit) are refundable before the due date. After that, all payments are entirely non-refundable. We STRONGLY suggest that you get travel insurance to cover you in case you need to cancel your trip for any reason.
- Category IF inside cabin, shared (please see ABOUT OCCUPANCY below).
- All meals onboard at any of the included restaurants.
- All onboard complementary activities
- Flights (see FLIGHT below).
- Transportation to and from the ship. Norwegian does offer a shuttle at additional cost an you will be able to reserve that once you make your deposit, or you can arrange your own.
- Optional activities onboard
- Land excursions
- Travel insurance (highly recommended). We do offer Travel Guard travel insurance and will send you a link to purchase it once you pay your deposit. You can also get insurance with any company you would like.
- Tips to guides, drivers, staff, etc.
- Souvenirs or anything extra you would like to get.
- Any activity not described in the itinerary.
- Double occupancy: you will be paired up with someone of the same gender as a roommate. Unless you have someone that you are already coming with, of course.
- Single supplement (if you want a room for yourself): For inside IF category cabins: 689.00. For Ocean view category OG cabins: 1,089.00.
- The last people to RSVP and pay the deposit MAY have to be put in triple occupancy rooms (if we end up with an odd number of men or women).
- We’re not setting a deadline but we’re limiting the number of people to 20.
Flights are NOT included. Flights are very easy to book nowadays on your own and some people want to do side trips, so it gets really unpractical to include flight. Besides many of you can use miles or other ways of making your flight free or saving money if you book it by yourself. If you choose to take the shuttle from Norwegian, we will give you guidelines so you can go to Kayak.com, Cheapoaire.com, Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, or any booking website and book your own. The best time to book a flight is usually 2-3 months before (the best day is Tuesday and the best time is between 12:00 and 3:00 PM). We will book ours at that point and e-mail the group telling you what we got. If you do book the same flight, we’ll meet at LAX. If not, we’ll just meet you at the airport in Anchorage or on the ship.
FLIGHT GUIDELINES FOR NORWEGIAN'S SHUTTLE
- If you are taking Norwegian's shuttle: Arrives in Anchorage by 4:00 PM on August 5.
- Leaves Vancouver no earlier than 3PM on August 12. If you are taking the city tour with 1000 Treks, book your flight no earlier than 10:00 PM on August 12.
SOME OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- Passport is required because we will be disembarking in Vancouver, Canada. Your passport must be valid for 6 months after our return date of August 12, 2019; therefore it must be valid until at least January 12, 2020. If you don't have a valid passport or if you passport expires before January 12, 2020, make sure to get started on a new one ASAP. Here's the link for the Department of State Passport section: http://travel.state.gov//content/travel/en.html
- As of the time of this posting American Citizens don’t need a visa for Canada. If you have a foreign passport, you may need a visa. Here's the Canadian Embassy website so you can look into that: https://international.gc.ca/world-monde/country-pays/united_states-etats_unis/index.aspx?lang=eng
If you need to take care of any those issues, make sure to get on them ASAP so you don't get held up because of some unexpected delay. We've had people missing trips and losing their money because they waited too long, had unexpected issues come up, and couldn't take care of them before the trip started.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY STATEMENT
1000 Leagues Travel, 1000 Treks, Adventure Us, SoCal Scuba and their event/assistant organizers, representatives, agents, employees, and/or any affiliated person, company or entity are not responsible for your safety. Outdoor activities are inherently dangerous. By participating in any event, you're taking responsibility for your own safety and well-being and agree to release 1000 Leagues Travel, 1000 Treks, Adventure-us, SoCal Scuba and their event/assistant organizers, representatives, agents, employees, and/or any affiliated person, company or entity from ANY responsibility, liability or claim in law or in equity.
You acknowledge and understand fully that there are risks and dangers of serious bodily injury or death that could result from your participation in this event. You have voluntarily elected to participate and FULLY ACCEPT AND ASSUME ALL RISKS AND ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY INJURY, LOSSES AND DAMAGES TO PERSON OR PROPERTY THAT INCUR AS A RESULT OF YOUR PARTICIPATION.
This is an adventure event and some of the activities you will be participating in will be physically demanding. You are discouraged to join this event if you are not in good physical condition. By signing up, you represent that you are qualified, in good health and in proper physical condition to join all the activities, and assume all responsibility for any situation that can arise from you not being physically prepared.
You agree not to sue and to release, discharge, waive, hold harmless and to indemnify 1000 leagues travel, 1000 treks, Adventure-us, SoCal Scuba and their event/assistant organizers, representatives, agents, employees, and/or any affiliated person, company or entity from and against all liabilities, claims, demands, losses, damages, suits and proceedings, regardless of the cause, including but not limited to, the negligence of any releasee, arising or resulting from your participation in these events.
You understand that the 1000 Leagues Travel, 1000 Treks, Adventure-us and SoCal Scuba may, from time to time, take photographic, digital or video images of event participants for advertising purposes. You hereby agree to allow 1000 Leagues Travel, 1000 Treks, Adventure-us and SoCal Scuba to use those images for that purpose without expectation of privacy or remuneration.