Uplift Financing Available
People have been asking for this one for a long time. Let’s go on a one-of-a-kind adventure to one of the most beautiful and exciting countries in the world: Iceland!
As always, we have gone out of our way to create the ultimate itinerary in which we will do tons of exciting activities and visit tons of breathtaking locations that you won't see anywhere else in the world. We will do the regular touristy things that everyone has to do when they go to Iceland, but we’ll take things to another level by doing some amazing adventurous and unique stuff. You will come back being able to say not only that you have been to, but you have EXPERIENCED, Iceland!
Here are some of the incredible things we will do or have the chance to do:
- Travel the Ring Road, the adventurous road that circles the entire country, covering the South Coast, Westfjords, North, and Eastfjords.
- Cruise along the Golden Circle.
- See puffins, just about the cutest bird you will ever see in your life.
- Tour Reykjavik, the capital and main city of Iceland.
- See the jaw-dropping Kirkjufell, which you might recognize as Arrowhead Mountain in Game of Thrones. We will actually climb it, too!
- Touch two continents when you snorkel in Silfra, the divergent tectonic boundary between the North American and Eurasian plates.
- See geysers and other geothermal phenomena.
- Explore gorgeous lava caves.
- See some of the most beautiful and unique waterfalls in the world.
- Go on an amphibian boat ride amongst glaciers on a glacier lagoon.
- Explore the inside of a volcano!
- Hike on a glacier.
- Ride a snowmobile on a glacier!
- Go inside an ice cave, one of the most spectacular natural formations in the world.
- Go whale watching.
- See and ride the magnificent Icelandic Horse.
- Visit a turf house. Yup, you have seen them in Lord of the Rings, but in Iceland you will see real ones.
- Visit hot springs, including the famous Blue Lagoon.
- Visit the colorful mountains of Landmannalaugar.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 27: ARRIVE IN REYKJAVIK. FREE DAY. OPTIONAL OUTING TO SKY LAGOON. EVENING ORIENTATION MEETING.
Arrive in Reykjavik and get transferred to our hotel. We'll have a free day, but our hotel is 15 minutes away from Iceland's newest geothermal spa, the Sky Lagoon, an unbelievable spa with a swim-up bar and infinity hot spring lagoon! We will have plenty of opportunities to enjoy geothermal lagoons on our trip, so this will be an optional outing for those of us who would like to do it.
In the evening, we will have our orientation meeting and go out to dinner together.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Centerhotel Plaza Reykjavik or similar.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 28: REYKJAVIK CITY TOUR, GOLDEN CIRCLE TOUR, WATERFALLS, GEYSERS, AND WALK BETWEEN TWO CONTINENTS. OPTIONAL SNORKEL AT THE CONTINENTAL DRIFT.
This morning we will go on a city tour of Reykjavik to see the beautiful capital, and most important city, of Iceland. We will see the Hallgrimskirkja Cathedral, the president's residence, and the Höfði-house, the location of the 1986 meeting between Ronald Raegan and Mikhail Gorbachev to discuss what eventually became the end of the Cold War.
Afterwards, we will start our journey through Iceland's Ring Road, a road that circles the entire country. We will be traveling the entire road for the next 13 days.
We will start by following the golden circle, the famous route that connects Iceland’s main attractions. In the Thingvellir National Park, we will walk by Silfra, the rift between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates, where the two continents are drifting apart. For those of us who want to put on a wetsuit and brave the cold but crystal clear water, we will have the opportunity to snorkel essentially in between the two continents! That will be an optional activity (extra cost), but a once-in-a-lifetime amazing experience that you will never forget!
After that, we will continue following the Golden Route to see Gullfoss, the “Golden Waterfall”, be astonished by the Strokkur Geyser as it erupts at regular intervals, and finish the day by visiting two more gorgeous waterfalls, Hraunfossar and Barnafoss. We'll arrive in Reykholt in the evening, where we will spend the night.
ACCOMMODATION: Reykholt. Hotel Á or similar.
MONDAY, AUGUST 29: DEILDARTUNGUHVER HOT SPRING, SNAEFELLSJÖKULL GLACIER, VATNSHELLIR LAVA CAVE, AND KIRKJUFELL.
We will continue our journey, and on our way towards the coastline will stop at the Deildartunguhver hot springs, Europe's most powerful hot spring. Deildartunguhver is so powerful and so hot (212°), that it supplies the entire region with hot water. Interesting fact: All the hot water in Iceland is supplied by hot springs!
Next Stop is Snaefellsnes Peninsula on the west coast to see our first glacier, Snaefellsjökull. At the base of the glacier we will find Vatnshellir Lava Cave, and if you guessed that we are going to descend into the lava cave on a fascinating tour to explore it, you are right! We will see an underworld of stunning geology, fascinating rock formations, and colorful volcanic rock.
We will continue along the coast as we drive to our next location, one that you might recognize from the show Game of Thrones: Kirkjufell, known as "Arrowhead Mountain" on the show. And, if you guessed that we will hike up to the top of Kirkjufell, you are, once again, right! That will be a 1.5 hour hike with class 3, and maybe even class 4 climbing sections, so it will be an optional (no cost) activity for those who want to do it. Those who choose not to do it, will enjoy the area for a few hours, or go on an easy hike around Kirkjufell along the shore.
We will then continue to Snaefellsbaer, where we will spend the night.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Arnarstapi Hotel or similar.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 30: SCENIC FERRY TO ISAFJÖRDUR
Today we will hop on the Baldur ferry to our next location, Isafjördur, in the Westfjords region. The ferry will take us along the Breidarfjördur-Bay, past the little Flatey island, with its rich bird’s life. With some luck we will see some whales on their way to the western fjords. Along the coast, past the red-sand beach Látrabjarg, we will reach Iceland’s westernmost point, the Látrabjarg-Cliffs, that a lot of puffins use as a nesting place. We will continue thought winding paths through peaceful fjords, revealing impressive views behind every curve. We will travel along the traces of the Gisla-Saga and see the powerful Dynjandi waterfall. In the evening we will arrive in Isafjördur, where we will stay for the next two nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Hotel Isafjördur or similar.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 31: FREE DAY IN ISAFJÖRDUR. OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES: FJORD KAYAKING, MOUNTAIN BIKING AND HIKING
Isafjördur is a beautiful town located in a calm fjord. One of the most beautiful places in Iceland, Isafjördur deserves a day to be enjoyed. Today we will have the entire day to relax and enjoy the beauty of this place. Those of us who would like to can go on a gorgeous two-hour kayaking tour, or on a guided mountain biking tour (both optional at an extra cost), or on a hike to Naustahvilft, the "Troll’s seat" (optional, no cost). We will hike along the steep path up the mountain, with beautiful views of Isafjördur and the entire surroundings. In 1.5 hours we should arrive to the Troll's seat, the impression in the earth where it’s said a troll sat down to rest and left an enormous butt print.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Hotel Isafjördur or similar.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 1: BACK ON RING ROAD. WHALE WATCHING IN HÓLMAVIK. GLAUMBAER SKAGAFJÖRDUR FOLK MUSEUM
Today we get back on the road. We will drive past the spectacular Valagil ravine and continue our journey along narrow fjords and through small villages. When we get to Hólmavik, we will go on a whale watching tour where we will be all-but-certain to see several humpback whales.
We should arrive in Varmahlid mid- to late-afternoon and visit the Glaumbaer Skagafjördur Folk Museum, a museum featuring a renovated turf farm and timber buildings. Turf houses, also known as peat buildings, used to be the only kind of houses in Iceland in the 18th and 19th century, because wood was so rare. The homestead of Glaumbær is one of the best conserved peat buildings in Iceland, and its oldest intact buildings are from the beginning of the 19th Century!
ACCOMMODATION: Hotel Varmahlid or similar.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2: MEET THE ICELANDIC HORSE (RIDING OPTIONAL), LUNCH IN AKUREYRI, MÝVATN NATURE BATHS
Today we will meet one of Iceland's most special residents: the Icelandic Horse. A breed of horse developed in Iceland, the Icelandic horse is small (sometimes as small as a pony), and yet strong. It has a beautiful mane and simply looks beautiful all-around. Another unique thing about it, the fact that it's the only breed in the world that can perform five gaits (all the other breeds can perform three or four). Those of us who are comfortable riding horses can go on a two-hour horseback ride around the fields. Although the Icelandic Horse is very docile, we made this activity optional (extra cost), as not everyone is comfortable riding horses.
Later in the morning we will get back on the road and visit Akureyri, the second largest city in Iceland, and the Capital of the North. We will have lunch in Akureyri and get back on the road to arrive at our next amazing destination: Mývatn. A city famous for its beautiful lake, Mývatn is also an area of heavy volcanic and geothermal activity.
We should arrive in Mývatn late in the afternoon and go to Mývatn Nature Baths where we will enjoy its hot natural blue alkaline waters and have the rest of the day to relax.
ACCOMMODATION: Hotel Mývatn or similar.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 03: FREE MORNING IN MÝVATN, DETTIFOSS WATERFALL, HALLORMSSTADUR FOREST AND HIKE TO HENGIFOSS WATERFALL
We'll have a free morning to walk along Mývatn Lake among the unique rock formations of Dimmuborgir.
We then get back on the road and continue on to Dettifoss, the waterfall with the biggest volume of water in Iceland.
In the afternoon we will reach Egilsstadir in the East fjords. There we will find the Hallormsstadur Forest. Forests are rare in Iceland, so this is a special place. We will venture into the forest, and hike up to Hengifoss waterfall, where we will have a great view over the area, including the nearby glacier.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Hotel Valaskjalf or similar.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 04: VATNAJÖKULL GLACIER AND AMPHIBIAN BOAT RIDE ON JÖKULSÁRLÓN GLACIER LAGOON. OPTIONAL KAYAKING ON GLACIER LAGOON.
Today we will drive to Höfn to see Iceland's largest glacier, Vatnajökull, and experience another one of Iceland's most famous and splendorous natural wonders: Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon. But of course we won't just see it, we will get on an amphibian boat and sail the lagoon amongst icebergs! Those of us who want to can also rent kayaks and go kayaking on the lagoon, getting even closer to the icebergs (optional, extra cost).
We then get back on the road to see yet another unique jewel of Iceland: Diamond Beach. Diamond Beach is a black sand beach that is covered with diamonds! Well, they are not really diamonds, they are actually icebergs of all shapes and sizes broken off from the nearby Breiðamerkurjökull glacier (which we have just visited). But they look just like diamonds, so the beach is covered with what looks like sparkly shining diamonds of all sizes both floating on the water, and sitting on the sand. There is no other known beach where this happens. Although chunks of ice dislodge from icebergs and glaciers all the time, they always float out to the ocean. The perfect conditions that cause those chunks of ice to get trapped on Breiðamerkursandur (AKA Diamond Beach) are unique to this place. In other words, Diamond Beach is the only one of its kind in the world!
ACCOMMODATIONS: Gerdi Guesthouse or similar.
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 05: SVARTIFOSS WATERFALL, BLACK SAND BEACH, PUFFINS, GLACIER HIKE AND GOING INSIDE AN ICE CAVE!
Today we will drive to Skaftafell National Park. The first amazing thing we will see from there will be Iceland's highest mountain, Mt. Hvannadalshnúkur. We will then go on an easy hike up to the basalt Svartifoss waterfall. Afterwards, we will put on crampons and go on a glacier hike to an ice cave! A glacier ice cave is one of the most impressive formations in nature. There are only a few places in the world where you can safely go inside an ice cave, and Iceland is one of them! Today's outing will be yet another incredible treat!
After our glacier hike and cave exploration, we will continue along the south coast towards Vík, Iceland's most southerly village. Near Vík, we will stop at the black sand beach where we will have a chance to spot puffins on the Dyrholaey cliff.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Hotel Dyrholaey or similar.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 06: MYRDALSJÖKULL GLACIER, SKOGAFOSS, AND SELJALANDSFOSS WATERFALLS. OPTIONAL SNOWMOBILE TOUR.
Today we will see our last glacier, Myrdalsjökull, which is the southernmost glacier in Iceland. Here we are going to have the chance to do one of the coolest activities of the trip: riding a snowmobile on the glacier! That's a super fun, adventurous and fairly physical activity, so it will be optional (extra cost). Alternatively, we can go on a hike to Mt. Hatta, a fairly light hike where we will have an astounding view of the area.
Afterward, we will continue our drive and visit our last two waterfalls: Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss. We will be closing with a bang, as those are two of the most special and famous waterfalls in Iceland. Skogafoss is one of the biggest all-around, 120-feet tall and 60-feet wide, and you can walk almost right up to it (be prepared to get completely soaked, though!). And you have seen countless pictures of Seljalandsfoss, the tall and beautiful fall that cascades over steep cliffs, allowing us to walk behind it. Yes, now you, too, will have that gorgeous picture taken behind a waterfall!
We'll arrive in Hella in the evening, where we will spend the night.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Stracta Hotel Hella or similar.
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 07: LANDMANNALAUGAR
Today we will drive to the highlands to see another one of Iceland's natural wonders: the colorful Landmannalaugar, a volcanic oasis of mountain slopes shining in yellow, orange, green, and blue from various volcanic stones. There are several hikes in the area, including Bláhnjúkur, with a fabulous view. Here is also where Iceland's most famous trail, Laugavegur, begins. Laugavegur is a multi-day hike, but we can hike just the very beginning of it, so we can experience it for ourselves.
After the hike, or even if you choose not to hike, we will have one more opportunity to take a dip in hot springs, Landmannalaugar, that gave this place its name.
We will then head down to Hvolsvöllur where we will spend our last night on the road.
ACCOMMODATION: Hotel Örk or similar.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 08: RETURN TO REYKJAVIK, GO INSIDE A VOLCANO AND/OR VISIT THE FAMOUS BLUE LAGOON.
Today we will return to Reykjavik, but before we arrive, we will have one more opportunity to experience yet another unique and amazing adventure: a tour inside a volcano. Yes, you read it correctly! We will hike up the steep crater for about 45 minutes. When we arrive at the top, we'll get on an open cable elevator and get lowered 400 feet to the bottom. This will be an optional activity (additional cost), since it involves a fairly strenuous hike and a 400 feet open-elevator ride to the bottom.
Those of us not doing the volcano will continue to Reykjavik, and will have a free day after arriving. The group doing the activity will be taken back to our hotel by the volcano company. Both groups will have enough free time in Reykjavik that we can also visit the famous Blue Lagoon geothermal spa. By now we have been to multiple geothermal spas and hot springs, but since Blue Lagoon is still the most famous in Iceland, it will be a nice way to finish the trip. This will also be optional (additional cost).
ACCOMMODATION: Centerhotel Plaza Reykjavik or similar.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 09: DEPARTURE
Today, after two magnificent weeks, we will return home with a ton of beautiful memories and photos, feeling super fulfilled for having scratched yet another amazing one off our bucket list.
- All the hotel stays at double-occupancy (please see OCCUPANCY below).
- Transportation to and from Keflavik airport to the hotel if you arrive within the FLIGHT GUIDELINES below. If you arrive or leave at a different time, you’ll have to arrange your own transportation or pay extra for our operator to transport you, if they are able to do so.
- All transportation to our scheduled activities as well as to and from terminals to hotels while with the group, including 1 piece of luggage p.p. If you do your own activity or arrive/leave on a different day, you’ll have to arrange your own transportation.
- Entrance to activities as described in the itinerary.
- Scandinavian breakfast buffet at hotels as mentioned.
- Flights (see FLIGHTS below).
- Optional activities.
- Meals other than those specifically stated in the itinerary.
- Tips to guides, drivers, staff, etc.
- Souvenirs or anything extra you would like to get.
- Any activity not described in the itinerary.
- Double-occupancy: You will be paired up with someone of the same gender as a roommate, unless you have someone that you are already coming with.
- Single supplement (if you want a room for yourself): 2,195.00
- The last people to RSVP and pay the deposit MAY have to be put in triple-occupancy rooms (if we end up with an odd number of men or women).
Flights are NOT included. Flights are very easy to book on your own, and some people want to do side trips, so it becomes impractical to include flights. Besides, many of you can use miles or other ways of making your flight free or save money if you book it yourself. So instead of including air, we will give you guidelines so you can book your own.
- Arrives in Keflavík Airport (KEF) by 5:00 PM on August 27. Hotel check-in is at 3:00 PM. Group meeting/orientation is at 8:00 PM.
- Leaves Keflavík Airport (KEF) on Sept 09 between 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM. Hotel check-out is 10:00 AM.
PRICE and PAYMENT TERMS
- Financing is available through Uplift, with fixed payments at a low interest rate, no late payment fees and no pre-payment penalty. Just choose "Pay by Uplift Financing" on the Make a Payment Page.
- In order to save you money, we don't add the cost of credit card processing to the price of the trip, so this price is for check, bank transfer, or any form of payment that does not incur a fee. We can take the deposit via credit card, but need the remaining balance to be paid by a direct form of payment. If you want to pay for the remaining balance with a credit card, we can accept it, but have to add a 5% fee.
- We have an unparalleled two-week itinerary, using the finest and most reputable companies. We do things that nobody else does, so our itineraries can’t be compared to other itineraries out there, but if you search online you will certainly find companies doing cheap trips to Iceland– that said, those trips are usually shorter and non-inclusive, with many even being self-driving. The companies that are undercutting pricing are also cutting corners in a way that we don’t do; in the end, you will get what you pay for. If your goal is simply to do a cheap trip, we are not your group. But if you want to experience everything there is to be experienced in Iceland, and even unique adventures that commercial tour companies don’t offer, in a comfortable and safe way, with a great group, at a very reasonable price, then you have found your group.
- A deposit of 600.00 (non-refundable, but movable) starts your reservation. Once we receive your deposit, we'll send you a questionnaire and a contract that will need to be returned to us in 72 hours to guarantee your spot. You can read the contract in advance HERE.
- Once you return the filled out questionnaire and signed contract, we will send you an invoice for the remaining amount. You will have until May 27, 2022 (three months before departure) to finish making your payment.
- Once you are confirmed, your deposit becomes movable. That means, if you need to cancel your participation on the trip for any reason, you may request a credit for 100% of your deposit that can be applied to any 1000 Leagues Travel Trip which departs within one year of the departing date of the original trip.
- When you make your deposit, you will be asked for your email. MAKE SURE YOU LIST AN EMAIL YOU CHECK DAILY WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR PAYMENT. THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL RECEIVE YOUR QUESTIONNAIRE, INVOICE, AND ALL THE EMAILS IN REGARDS TO THE TRIP.
- Full payment is only due on May 27, 2022, three months before the trip. You can make payments in any way you prefer so long as you are fully paid by the due date.
- If you make payments or pay in full before the due date, your payments (minus the deposit) are refundable before the due date. After that, all payments are entirely non-refundable.
- All trips are governed by our comprehensive contract. You should familiarize yourself with it prior to signing up for any of our trips. You can access it by clicking HERE or visiting https://www.1000treks.com/contract/. A link to the contract can also be found at the bottom of all our webpages under "CONTRACT".
- Insurance is REQUIRED. You may purchase insurance with any company you wish, but we require that your policy covers personal injury, death, medical expenses, emergency evacuation and treatment, repatriation, and personal liability, with a minimum coverage of USD$200,000. You will be required to submit proof of insurance no later than (seven) 7 days prior to the start of the trip or you will not be allowed to participate in the Trip and will forfeit all your payments.. Although not part of the requirement, we STRONGLY suggest that you get insurance right away (within 15 days of making your deposit), and that you buy a policy that will cover you in case you need to cancel your trip for any reason.
- Because of the adventurous nature of our trips, our itinerary and some locations are subject to change due to weather, tides, road conditions, logistics, and other unforeseen circumstances. It’s not likely, but it could happen. Whenever we make a change in the itinerary, we will do our best to maintain the integrity of the trip.
- A passport is required for all international travel. Your passport must be valid for 6 months after your return date. If you don't have a valid passport, or if you passport expires before 6 months after the date you will arrive back in the U.S., make sure to get started on a new one ASAP. Here's the link for the Department of State Passport section: http://travel.state.gov//content/travel/en.html
- As of the time of this posting American citizens don’t need a visa for Iceland. If you have a foreign passport, you may need a visa. Here's the Iceland Embassy website so you can look into that: https://www.government.is/diplomatic-missions/embassy-of-iceland-in-washington-d.c/. We also recommend that even American citizens periodically check to make sure visa requirements have not changed.
- If you need to take care of any those issues, make sure to get on them ASAP so you don't get held up because of some unexpected delay. We've had people missing trips and losing their money because they waited too long or had unexpected issues come up and couldn't take care of them before the trip started.
- Having a valid passport and all the required visas is your responsibility. Please make sure you have those, and any other necessary issues are resolved well ahead of time. 1000 Leagues Travel and its affiliates are not responsible for any problems resulting from you not taking care of issues ahead of time.
This trip will happen around a time in which a potential resurgence of COVID-19 could affect our plans. COVID-19 has become a tricky element because of the unpredictable nature of the virus. It appears that insurance companies have been very restrictive on their coverage; we know insurance companies do offer coverage for the Coronavirus at an additional premium, but this still remains limited and with caps on reimbursement. Additionally, local suppliers have found themselves in a difficult situation because they often have to make their plans and respective reservations for different activities in advance. Therefore, all they can possibly offer in case 1000 Treks needs to cancel the trip after the final payment due date is a credit for the exact same trip for next year. At the same time, because of the virus's effect on local economies, we have been able to secure pricing that at any other time would be notably more expensive.
We believe it is extremely unlikely that we will have to cancel this trip altogether, even if there is a resurgence of COVID-19 at that time. However, it is a possibility, and we want to be completely transparent about the possible outcome. We also want to be 100% upfront that there is the possibility that a resurgence and extreme measures similar to the ones taken in response to the initial outbreak may drive some of the suppliers out of business. If that's the case, they may be unable to provide us with credit or services. This could alter the itinerary, or even render the trip impossible to take and without refunds or credits provided for a future date. We will always do our best to make everything happen, and, again, although the outlined scenarios are extremely unlikely to occur, ultimately we cannot guarantee they won't.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required for all travelers. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required for all travelers. You will be required to show proof of current vaccination and all required boosters of a Center for Disease Control and/or World Health Organization approved vaccine to 1000 Leagues Travel at least seven (7) days before the first day of the Trip, or you will not be allowed to participate in the Trip and will forfeit all your payments. The type of vaccine accepted by different countries might vary, and all our groups will have to comply with all the requirements from all the countries we will be visiting, traveling through, or returning to. Noncompliance with any of the vaccinations requirements at any time may result in your removal from the trip without any refunds or compensation. 1000 Leagues Travel will not be held responsible for any circumstances resulting from failure to provide proof of vaccination.
Proof of a negative COVID-19 test might also be required. All travelers must be ready to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test if required by any of the locations we will be visiting, travelling through, or returning to. Noncompliance may result in your removal from the trip without any refunds or compensation, and furthermore may result in imposed quarantine, which might result in loss of airfare and other financial consequences. 1000 Leagues Travel will not be held responsible for any circumstances resulting from failure to provide a negative COVID-19 test whenever required.
Please refer to section 7 of the contract titled "COVID-19/CORONAVIRUS (“VIRUS”)" for the limitations of our liability.